[gmx-users] mdrun

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Nov 5 13:41:56 CET 2013

On 11/5/13 7:37 AM, MUSYOKA THOMMAS wrote:
> Dear Users,
> I am running MD simulations of a protein-ligand system. Sometimes when i do
> an mdrun, be it for the energy minimization or during the nvt and npt
> equillibration  or the actual md run step, sometimes the output files are
> named in a very odd way (strange extensions) e.g em.gro.tprr or md.tpr.cpt,
> md.tpr.xtc.
>
> Can anyone explain the cause of this?

You are issuing the command in a way that you probably don't want.  I suspect
what you are doing is:

mdrun -deffnm md.tpr

The -deffnm option is for the base file name and should not include an
extension.  mdrun is only doing what you tell it; you're saying, "all my files
are named md.tpr, and you can put whatever the necessary extension is on them."

What you want is:

mdrun -deffnm md

Postdoctoral Fellow

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences