[gmx-users] Re: Gromacs-4.6 on two Titans GPUs

Dwey mpi566 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 5 21:29:45 CET 2013

Hi Mike,

    I have similar configurations except a cluster of AMD-based linux
platforms with 2 GPU cards.

Your  suggestion works. However, the performance of 2 GPU  discourages
me  because , for example,  with 1 GPU, our computer node can easily
obtain a  simulation of 31ns/day for a protein of 300 amino acids but
with 2 GPUs, it goes as far as 38 ns/day. I am very curious as to  why
 the performance of 2 GPUs is under expectation. Is there any overhead
that we should pay attention to ?  Note that these 2GPU cards are
linked by a SLI bridge within the same node.

Since the computer nodes of our cluster have at least one GPU  but
they are connected by slow network cards ( 1GB/sec), unfortunately, I
reasonably doubt that the performance will not be proportional to the
total number of  GPU cards.  I am wondering if you have any suggestion
about a cluster of GPU nodes.   For example, will a infiniband
networking help increase a final performance when we execute a mpi
task ? or what else ?  or forget about mpi and use single GPU instead.

Any suggestion is highly appreciated.
Thanks.

Dwey