[gmx-users] RE: Gibbs Energy Calculation and charges

Dallas Warren Dallas.Warren at monash.edu
Tue Nov 5 23:50:36 CET 2013

Thank you for the pointer Michael.

couple-intramol = no
What a diff of the output from gmxdump of the two tpr files shows is in both of these cases (normal and double charged), when:
	lambda is set to 1.0 (atoms within both molecules will have zero charge)
	lambda is set to 0.00 and 0.50, respectively (both will have the same charge)
There are the following differences:
	functype[] = LJC14_Q, qi and qj are set to the original charges, not the ones scaled by lambda
	functype[] = LJC_NB, qi and qj are set to the original charges, not the ones scaled by lambda
	atom[]     = q is set to the original charges, not the ones scaled by lambda

So this explains why I do not see the two topologies giving the same value at the same atomic charges, since the topologies being simulated are not the same.  The 1-4 charge interactions are still at the original charges, as are the 1-5 and beyond.

What is the reason that the charges are being left untouched here with changing lambda?  I can understand when we are dealing with LJ/van der Waals, since the 1-4 are important for the proper dihedrals, but what is the reason for charges being left untouched?  Having thought this through, answered it myself, it is because here we are interested in molecule - external environment interactions being turned off, we are moving the entire molecule from full interacting with its external environment to non-interacting.  The molecule itself should be left alone.

Turning to the side issue of turning couple-intramol on -

couple-intramol = yes
diff of the equivalent files, there are the following differences:
	functype[] = LJC14_Q, qi and qj are set to the original charges, not the ones scaled by lambda
	atom[]     = q is set to the original charges, not the ones scaled by lambda

Which confirms what Michael mentioned earlier about couple-intramol only affecting those 1-5 and beyond i.e. LJC_NB

Which then begs the question, why does the value of dH/dl change so dramatically when this option is turned on, as I observed at http://ozreef.org/stuff/gromacs/couple-intramol.png  The only thing being changed is the fact that LJC_NB is now being scaled with lambda.

Catch ya,

Dr. Dallas Warren
Drug Delivery, Disposition and Dynamics
Monash Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Monash University
381 Royal Parade, Parkville VIC 3052
dallas.warren at monash.edu
+61 3 9903 9304