[gmx-users] stopped simulation

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Wed Nov 6 22:52:45 CET 2013

On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 8:22 PM, Justin Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu> wrote:

> On 11/6/13 2:14 PM, Ehsan Sadeghi wrote:
>
>> Many thanks Justin. What is an appropriate cut-off value? My box size is
>> d=
>> 0.5 nm; based on the definition of cut-off radius, its value shouble be
>> smaller than d/2; therefore 0.24 is an appropriate cut-off value. Am I
>> right?
>>

> No.  The cutoff value is not a function of box size; it is a fixed
> property of the force field.  No wonder the simulation is crashing.  If
> your box is only 0.5 nm, then a cutoff of 1.5 nm is triple-counting
> interactions across PBC!

Triple counting is not possible, per minimum-image convention. I think
Ehsan's report of a "0.5nm" box size is probably wrong, e.g. per its
documentation, editconf -d 0.5 does not produce a 0.5nm box.

Mark

Refer to the primary literature for the Gromos parameter set you are using
> for proper settings.  You haven't said which one you're using, and there
> may be slight differences between them.  If the value you're using isn't
> taken directly from a paper, it's not credible.
>
> -Justin
>

>  Cheers, Ehsan
>>
>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Justin Lemkul" <jalemkul at vt.edu> To:
>> "Discussion list for GROMACS users" <gmx-users at gromacs.org> Sent:
>> Wednesday,
>> November 6, 2013 10:54:42 AM Subject: Re: [gmx-users] stopped simulation
>>

>> On 11/6/13 12:53 PM, Ehsan Sadeghi wrote:
>>
>>> Hi gmx users,
>>>
>>> I have simulated ionomer in water solution using gromos force field. But
>>> in
>>> middle of simulation(after 2 ns) the simulation stopped and I received
>>> these messages:
>>>

>>> WARNING: Listed nonbonded interaction between particles 174 and 188 at
>>> distance 3f which is larger than the table limit 3f nm.
>>>
>>> This is likely either a 1,4 interaction, or a listed interaction inside a
>>> smaller molecule you are decoupling during a free energy calculation.
>>> Since
>>> interactions at distances beyond the table cannot be computed, they are
>>> skipped until they are inside the table limit again. You will only see
>>> this
>>> message once, even if it occurs for several interactions.
>>>
>>> IMPORTANT: This should not happen in a stable simulation, so there is
>>> probably something wrong with your system. Only change the
>>> table-extension
>>> distance in the mdp file if you are really sure that is the reason.
>>>
>>> Fatal error: 1 particles communicated to PME node 5 are more than 2/3
>>> times
>>> the cut-off out of the domain decomposition cell of their charge group in
>>> dimension y. This usually means that your system is not well
>>> equilibrated.
>>>

>>> ---- I used simulated annealing for equilibrating the system in NVT and
>>> NPT
>>> condition. The mdp files are:
>>>
>>> ---- NVT ------
>>>
>>> define     = -DPOSRES integrator = md dt         = 0.002 ; time step (in
>>> ps) nsteps     = 25000 ; Maximum number of steps to perform
>>>
>>> ; OUTPUT CONTROL OPTIONS nstxout    = 500 nstvout    = 500 nstenergy  =
>>> 500 nstlog     = 500 energygrps = Non-Water Water
>>>
>>> ; NEIGHBORSEARCHING PARAMETERS
>>>
>>> nstlist    = 1 ns_type    = grid rlist      = 1.5 pbc        = xyz
>>>
>>> ; OPTIONS FOR ELECTROSTATICS AND VDW
>>>
>>> coulombtype= PME pme_order  = 4 fourierspacing= 0.16 rcoulomb   = 1.5
>>> vdw-type   = Cut-off rvdw       = 1.5
>>>
>>> ; Temperature coupling
>>>
>>> tcoupl     = v-rescale tc-grps    = Non-Water Water tau_t      = 0.1
>>> 0.1 ref_t      = 300    300 ; Dispersion correction DispCorr   =
>>> EnerPres ;
>>> Pressure coupling is off pcoupl     = no
>>>
>>> ; Annealing
>>>
>>> annealing   = single single annealing-npoints = 5  5 annealing-time = 0
> [...]
>>> 20 30 40 0 10 20 30 40 annealing-temp = 300 320 340 360 380 300 320 340
>>> 360
>>> 380
>>>
>>> ; GENERATE VELOCITIES FOR STARTUP RUN gen_vel    = yes gen_temp   = 300
>>> gen_seed   = -1
>>>
>>> ; OPTIONS FOR BONDS constraints = ; all-bonds continuation= no
>>> constraint_algorithm = lincs lincs_iter = 1 lincs_order= 4
>>>
>>> --------- NPT ------------
>>>
>>> define     = -DPOSRES integrator = md dt         = 0.002 nsteps     =
>>> 25000
>>>
>>> ; OUTPUT CONTROL OPTIONS nstxout    = 500 nstvout    = 500 nstfout    =
>>> 500 nstenergy  = 500 nstlog     = 500 energygrps = Non-Water Water
>>>
>>> ; NEIGHBORSEARCHING PARAMETERS
>>>
>>> nstlist    = 5 ns_type    = grid rlist      = 1.5 pbc        = xyz
>>>
>>> ; OPTIONS FOR ELECTROSTATICS AND VDW
>>>
>>> coulombtype= PME pme_order  = 4 fourierspacing= 0.16 rcoulomb   = 1.5
>>> vdw-type   = Cut-off rvdw       = 1.5
>>>
>>> ; Temperature coupling
>>>
>>> tcoupl     = v-rescale tc-grps    = Non-Water Water tau_t      = 0.1
>>> 0.1 ref_t      = 300    300 ; Dispersion correction DispCorr   = EnerPres
>>>
>>> pcoupl     = Parrinello-Rahman Pcoupltype = Isotropic tau_p      = 2.0
>>> compressibility = 4.5e-5 ref_p      = 1.0 refcoord_scaling = com
>>>
>>> ; Annealing
>>>
>>> annealing   = single single annealing-npoints = 5  5 annealing-time = 0
>>> 10
>>> 20 30 40 0 10 20 30 40 annealing-temp = 380 360 340 320 300 380 360 340
>>> 320