[gmx-users] Re: g_analyze

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sun Nov 10 14:01:04 CET 2013

On 11/10/13 12:20 AM, bharat gupta wrote:
> Hi,
> I used the command g_hbond to find h-bond between  residues 115-118 and
> water. Then I used g_analyze to find out the average and it gives the value
> for the hbonds like this :-
>
>                                    std. dev.    relative deviation of
>                         standard       ---------   cumulants from those of
> set      average       deviation      sqrt(n-1)   a Gaussian distribition
>                                                        cum. 3   cum. 4
> SS1   6.877249e-02   2.546419e-01   5.092839e-03       2.181    3.495
> SS2   6.997201e-02   2.673450e-01   5.346901e-03       2.421    5.001
>
> When I calculated the average manually, by taking the average of numbers in
> second column of hbnum.xvg file, I got a value of around 13.5.. What is the
> reason for such a large difference.

Hard to say, but I've never known g_analyze to be wrong, so I'd suspect
something is amiss in your manual calculation.  The difference between 13.5 and
0.0069 is huge; you should be able to scan through the data file to see what the
expected value should be.

> In another case, g_analyze gives avg values of aroun 6.9 for hbond between
> two residues and when I calculated it maually I got the avg values as 6.8
>> ..
>
> Whats the meaning of SS1 and SS2,?? Does it mean that SS1 refers to time
> and SS2 refers to hbond numbers in the hbnum.xvg obtained from g_hbond
> analysis ??

Data sets 1 and 2.  You will note that there are two columns of data in the
-hbnum output produced by g_hbond, with titles explaining both.

Postdoctoral Fellow

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 601