[gmx-users] Calculating diffusion coefficient in three dimension

Venkat Reddy venkat4bt at gmail.com
Wed Nov 13 15:41:12 CET 2013

Dear Justin,
I have referred to an article (Vuorela T, Catte A, Niemela PS, Hall A,
Hyvonen MT, et al. (2010) Role of Lipids in Spheroidal High Density
Lipoproteins. PLoS Comput Biol 6(10): e1000964.
doi:10.1371/journal.pcbi.1000964), where the authors have clearly described
the fitting of 2D diffusion coefficient to the surface lipids (diffusion
along the lipid-water interface
) and 3D diffusion coefficient to the core lipids.

On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 7:19 PM, Justin Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu> wrote:

> On 11/13/13 12:20 AM, Venkat Reddy wrote:
>
>> Dear Justin and Piggot,
>> Thanks for the suggestions. Actually, I have constructed a CG lipid
>> vesicle
>> by placing lipids in random conformation in a simulation box. My lipid
>> system is heterogeneous, i.e., it has different types of lipids
>> (POPC,CHOLESTEROL,PPC...etc). Some of them occupy the outer layer of
>> vesicle (POPC), and some stay in the intermediate region (CHOL). So, I
>> want
>> to calculate the diffusion rates of these lipids. Since POPC forms the
>> surface (polar heads interacting with water and their tails points to the
>> core), I suppose we have to calculate 2D diffusion for POPC. For the
>> lipids
>> in the core, they can diffuse in 3-dimension. So, it requires a 3D
>> diffusion coefficient for these core lipids. How to calculate 2D and 3D
>> diffusion coeff.? Hope I am clear.
>>

> 2D diffusion coefficients are what the -lateral option does.  I really
> don't understand why you want a 2D value for anything with spherical
> symmetry.  If there is an outer layer of a vesicle, that's as much a sphere
> as anything inside it.
>
> -Justin
>

>> On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 12:58 AM, Thomas Piggot <t.piggot at soton.ac.uk
>> >wrote:
>>
>>  Hi Venkat,
>>>
>>> Can you make it a bit clearer what you actually want?
>>>
>>> If it is the diffusion of the lipids along the curved surface of the
>>> vesicle, rather than simply the overall 3D diffusion, this is not trivial
>>> to calculate as I don't believe g_msd will do this for you. This property
>>> has been studied before though, so I suggest you search the literature
>>> for
>>> papers simulating vesicles to see how the lipid diffusion was calculated.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>>
>>> Tom

>>> Dr Thomas Piggot
>>> University of Southampton, UK.
>>>

>>> --
>>> Support/Mailing_Lists/Search before posting!
>>> * Please don't post (un)subscribe requests to the list. Use the www
>>> interface or send it to gmx-users-request at gromacs.org.

> Justin A. Lemkul, Ph.D.
> Postdoctoral Fellow
>
> Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
> School of Pharmacy
> Health Sciences Facility II, Room 601
> University of Maryland, Baltimore
> 20 Penn St.
> Baltimore, MD 21201

> Support/Mailing_Lists/Search before posting!

With Best Wishes
Venkat Reddy Chirasani
PhD student
Laboratory of Computational Biophysics