[gmx-users] Invalid order for directive defaults

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Nov 13 16:44:50 CET 2013

On 11/13/13 10:39 AM, Atila Petrosian wrote:
> Dear Justin
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
>> In your previous setup, you were effectively trying to use CHARMM27 + some other
>> force field related to the CNT.  You can't do that.
>
> Thus, Gromacs is not appropriate for systems containing cnt.
> Is my deduction true?

Of course not.  People simulate CNTs with Gromacs all the time.  You just didn't
construct the force field properly.

> In my case, peptid + cnt + water molecules, what is your suggestion?
>
> Please guide me and explain more. How to do MD simulation of my system
> by gromacs?

You have missing parameters in the .top/.itp file.  You have those parameters
already in ffbonded.itp for the CNT.  As long as those parameters are compatible
with the peptide force field (CHARMM27), then you just need to add those
parameters.  Again, that may be as simple as adding #include "cntffbonded.itp"
of whatever it is to the .top file after the #include statement for the parent
force field.  Your only problem was #including another force field that
re-defined a [defaults] directive.  That is syntactically illegal.  Nothing else
was inherently problematic, unless you're mixing incompatible force fields, but
I haven't seen any evidence of that.

Postdoctoral Fellow

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy