[gmx-users] about using do_dssp for a few residues

Xu, Jianqing xuj at MedImmune.com
Fri Nov 15 12:11:25 CET 2013

Dear all,

I was playing "do_dssp" command in the last a few days.

If I want to know the secondary structures of all the residues on the protein over the trajectory, everything seems good! However, the obtained picture (ss.xpm->ss.eps) is obviously too colourful, as all the residues are shown on there. Somehow, for my project, I am actually only interested in watching a few key residues.

I therefore used the index file to select a few residues that I am interested, and do the same analysis using "do_dssp -s md.tpr -f md.pdb -n index.ndx". I found the secondary structure of the selected residues are always in "Coil" status, which is not consistent with the results obtained by checking the entire protein.

I then did the tests to select 1-10 residues, 1-100 residues and 1-200 residues, and the results were different. The only reasonable possibility that I can think of is that the "do_dssp" only checks the selected residues and assumes the rest of the protein do not exist ....

I was wondering whether my understanding is correct. And if this is the case, how can I calculate the secondary structures of a few residues over time (without manually modifying the ss.xpm file) ?

Thanks for any help!

Regards,

Jianqing

MedImmune Limited is a company incorporated in England and Wales with registered number: 02451177 and a registered office at Milstein Building, Granta Park, Cambridge, CB21 6GH.

To the extent this electronic communication or any of its attachments contain information that is not in the public domain, such information is considered by MedImmune to be confidential and proprietary. This communication is expected to be read and/or used only by the individual(s) for whom it is intended. If you have received this electronic communication in error, please reply to the sender advising of the error in transmission and delete the original message and any accompanying documents from your system immediately, without copying, reviewing or otherwise using them for any purpose. Thank you for your cooperation.