[gmx-users] g_select

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Nov 18 18:28:51 CET 2013

On 11/15/13 6:49 AM, SEMRAN İPEK wrote:
> Dear gromacs users;
>
> I have been trying to find out the waters close to certain residue. Here is
> my selection dat:
>
> waterO = name "OW";
> close = waterO and within 0.35 of resnr 334;
> close
>

> **************************************
> I have been using the command of "g_select -f md_30.xtc -b 30000 -e 30000
>   -s md_30.gro -oi index.dat -sf selection.dat"
>
> Somehow the code sometimes finds the waters within 0.35 nm of residue  and
> sometimes finds the waters too far away from protein (30 nm away .)

Does that distance perhaps coincide with a periodic image in which the distance
criterion is satisfied?

> Could you please guide me along the process for g_select?

Check to make sure all of your criteria make sense.  Write an index group (from
g_select) that specifies just "resnr 334" to verify that the coordinates are
being processed and that you don't need something more specific like 'group
"Protein" and resnr 334.'

Postdoctoral Fellow

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy