[gmx-users] problems with chain IDs for huge complex

Tsjerk Wassenaar tsjerkw at gmail.com
Mon Nov 18 20:53:31 CET 2013

Hi Tomek,

Process each chain separately with pdb2gmx, rename the moleculetypes and
combine them again. This is scriptable, but not entirely trivial. Renaming
the moleculetype takes something like

sed '/\[ *moleculetype *\]/{p;n;s/^.*$/NEWMOLECULETYPE/p}' itpfile

Hope it helps,

Tsjerk

On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 8:25 PM, Tomek Wlodarski
<tomek.wlodarski at gmail.com>wrote:

> As far as I remember in pdb format you can only use one character for chain
> id.
>

> On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 7:05 PM, <jkrieger at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> > How about naming your chains AA-AZ then BA-BZ? You probably need to
> change
> > the chain names in the original structures rather than just renaming the
> > files.
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I am preparing simulation of the ribosome and because of it size I am
> > > force
> > > to use A-Z and a-z to name all chains...
> > > With pdb2gmx it is not a problem but with grompp I am ending up with
> this
> > > error (gromacs 4.6.3):
> > >
> > > Fatal error:
> > > moleculetype Protein_chain_b is redefined
> > >
> > > I figured out that for grompp Protein_chain_b and Protein_chain_B are
> the
> > > same entry - and hence error...
> > > I changed the name of files in this fashion:
> > > Protein_chain_b -> Protein_chain_bb etc
> > > And now grompp was able to read them but it found out that there is
> > > different number of atoms between top and gro file..
> > > Any ideas or suggestions?
> > > Thanks.
> > > Best
> > >
> > > tomek
> > > --
> > > * Please search the archive at
> > > http://www.gromacs.org/Support/Mailing_Lists/Search before posting!
> > > * Please don't post (un)subscribe requests to the list. Use the
> > > www interface or send it to gmx-users-request at gromacs.org.
> > >

> > --
> > * Please search the archive at
> > http://www.gromacs.org/Support/Mailing_Lists/Search before posting!
> > * Please don't post (un)subscribe requests to the list. Use the

> * Please search the archive at

Tsjerk A. Wassenaar, Ph.D.