[gmx-users] Avoiding domain decomposition error

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Tue Nov 19 18:39:40 CET 2013

Sure, using mpirun -np x mdrun_mpi will check for this. You don't want to
actually compute on the head node (your sysadmins know where I live!), but
all you need to do to trigger the check is to spawn an MPI job with that
many ranks, and then kill it immediately if there was no error. (Not sure
if adding -nsteps 0 will get the job done, but -nsteps 1 certainly
will.) You don't need those ranks to be spawned across a real compute
system for this test - over-subscribing any machine is fine.

Mark