[gmx-users] Implicit solvent simulation of protein folding

Tobias Sikosek t.sikosek at utoronto.ca
Tue Nov 26 22:42:15 CET 2013

Hi everyone,

I’m trying to run protein folding simulations with implicit solvent and the Amber99sb-ILDN forcefield.

My problem is that I cannot get a stable simulation after energy minimization. Either mdrun stops after lots of LINCS warnings or the simulation finishes but the atom coordinates are “infinite”. I have tried different parameter settings, some of which I found on gmx-users. My most recent .mdp files I have attached below.

I’ve used versions 4.5.5 and 4.6.3 of Gromacs.

The initial (unfolded) structure of ~60 residues was generated from an extended beta-strand followed by 1 ns of explicit solvent MD (after EM, NVT, NPT).

I’m hoping it’s something obvious, since I have started using Gromacs fairly recently and so far have only used explicit solvent.  Any suggestions are welcome.

Cheers,
Tobias

-----------

em.mdp

integrator = steep
emtol = 1
emstep          = 0.01
nsteps = 300000
constraint_algorithm = lincs
constraints = none
comm_mode = ANGULAR
tc-grps         = system
tcoupl          = V-rescale
tau_t           = 0.1
ref_t           = 350
nstlist = 0
ns_type = simple
rlist = 0
coulombtype = Cut-off
rcoulomb = 0
rvdw = 0
pbc = no

md.mdp

integrator = md
nsteps = 5000000.0
dt = 0.002
nstxout = 1000
nstvout = 1000
nstxtcout = 1000
nstenergy = 1000
nstlog = 1000
continuation = no
constraint_algorithm = lincs
constraints = h-bonds
lincs_iter = 1
lincs_order = 4
ns_type = simple
nstlist = 0
rlist = 0
rcoulomb = 0
rvdw = 0
coulombtype = Cut-off
pme_order = 4
fourierspacing = 0.16
tcoupl = V-rescale
tc-grps = system
tau_t = 0.1
ref_t = 350
pcoupl = no
pbc = no
gen_vel = no
comm_mode = ANGULAR
comm-grps           =  Protein
implicit_solvent = GBSA
gb_algorithm     = OBC
nstgbradii       =  1.0
rgbradii = 0
gb_epsilon_solvent = 80
gb_dielectric_offset = 0.009
sa_algorithm         = Ace-approximation
sa_surface_tension   = 0.0054