[gmx-users] double precision and minimisation error

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sat Nov 30 15:41:21 CET 2013

On 11/30/13 9:29 AM, jkrieger at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk wrote:
> As has been asked a number of times before, I have seen minimization halt
> at a low number of steps having converged to machine precision when double
> precision is not used - does that not mean that double precision is needed
> at least for minimization? Sorry to ask this question again but I can't
> find a clear answer to this in previous messages.

That depends on the outcome.  Consider the purpose of EM - to generate a
reasonable structure that can be subjected to dynamics, the tolerance for which
is user-defined in emtol.  Sometimes the input structure requires very little
change, so you reach an acceptable Fmax (e.g. emtol) within a very small number
of steps.  Double precision is only required when you are aiming for a very
small Fmax, as would be necessary for, e.g. NMA calculations.  For most
dynamics, single precision is perfectly acceptable for all steps in the process.

If EM converges prematurely without achieving the desired Fmax, usually one of
two things has happened.  Either the input structure cannot be resolved (in
which case the Epot and Fmax are obviously bad) or the Fmax cannot be achieved
with the parameters being utilized, in which case *maybe* double precision will
fare better.  The question you have to ask is whether or not you need that level
of Fmax.

Postdoctoral Fellow

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy