[gmx-users] how to calculate kinetic constant?

rajat desikan rajatdesikan at gmail.com
Sun Oct 6 09:14:56 CEST 2013

Hi Chris,
The activation energy is obtained from the PMF well depth. So that leaves
two variables k and A. If we get K at say 5 temepratures, and plot ln(k)
vs. 1/T, the intercept will give us A. From that, at the temperature of
interest, we can back out k.

I will dig up the paper I saw this in. It was a really long time ago though.

On Sun, Oct 6, 2013 at 2:33 AM, Christopher Neale <
chris.neale at mail.utoronto.ca> wrote:

> Dear Rajat:
>
> I just checked the first two papers that you mentioned and they both get
> kinetics from standard equilibrium simulations. As for the Arrhenius law,
> with k, A, and the energy of activation (Ea) all unknown for each T, how do
> you obtain a unique solution for k given T ? Even if you assume that Ea is
> some function of the maximum of your PMF (which is not always true), I
> presume that you can only then get the relationship between k and A, not
> the absolute value of k, even with information from many temperatures.
> However, I've never worked on this directly. Can you provide a reference so
> that I can take a look?
>
> Thank you,
> Chris.

Rajat Desikan (Ph.D Scholar)
Prof. K. Ganapathy Ayappa's Lab (no 13),
Dept. of Chemical Engineering,
Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore