[gmx-users] NVE Temperature Drift

Johnny Lu johnny.lu128 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 15:29:23 CEST 2014

I don't have much idea about the correct numbers to set. Mostly, I copy the
old lysozyme tutorial (
http://www.bevanlab.biochem.vt.edu/Pages/Personal/justin/gmx-tutorials/lysozyme_old/03_solvate.html),
deleted the temperature and pressure couplings, and set the numbers bigger.
I thought that bigger values won't make the simulation wrong, while smaller
values might. Then, I ran it once, and found that the temperature seem to
drop at 120,000 time step. So, in my second attempt, I only ran for 32,768
time steps, changed the timestep, and then add the npt equilibration phase.

Gromacs 4.6.6

Water box 1.5 nm away from the protein:
editconf -f $angle.complex.nowat.amber99sb.gro -o
$angle.complex.nowat.amber99sb.newbox.gro -c -d 1.5 -bt dodecahedron

While the old lysozyme tutorial (
http://www.bevanlab.biochem.vt.edu/Pages/Personal/justin/gmx-tutorials/lysozyme_old/03_solvate.html)
used a -d 1.0 waterbox, I worry that the NVE simulation would not be stable
enough, so I put more water.

I made up these three numbers:
rlist        = 1.8        ; short-range neighborlist cutoff (in nm)
rcoulomb    = 1.5        ; short-range electrostatic cutoff (in nm)
rvdw        = 1.5        ; short-range van der Waals cutoff (in nm)

And set the cut offs larger than those in the tutorial, which used OPLS
forcefield. What should be the correct numbers for Amber99SB? Where can I
find those?

I searched for NVE simulations on the mailing list, and one of the email
mentioned verlet-buffer-drift.
I tried it, but then gromacs say no verlet-buffer-drift without temperature
coupling. So, I dropped it (verlet-buffer-drift=-1).

Another email suggested reading the gromacs 4 paper on JCTC for a NVE
protocol. Is "GROMACS 4: Algorithms for Highly Efficient, Load-Balanced,
and Scalable Molecular Simulation" the gromacs 4 paper?

I ran NVE simulation because several lecture notes online say some
thermostats can destroy momentum transfer or lead to non-canonical
ensembles, and several emails on maillist mentioned NVE for transport
properties. The thing that I try to look at is not an average. So, I guess
that is similar to transport properties, and NPT is not good.