[gmx-users] NVE Temperature Drift

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Aug 26 18:27:32 CEST 2014

On 8/26/14, 9:29 AM, Johnny Lu wrote:
> I don't have much idea about the correct numbers to set. Mostly, I copy the
> old lysozyme tutorial (
> http://www.bevanlab.biochem.vt.edu/Pages/Personal/justin/gmx-tutorials/lysozyme_old/03_solvate.html),
> deleted the temperature and pressure couplings, and set the numbers bigger.
> I thought that bigger values won't make the simulation wrong, while smaller
> values might. Then, I ran it once, and found that the temperature seem to
> drop at 120,000 time step. So, in my second attempt, I only ran for 32,768
> time steps, changed the timestep, and then add the npt equilibration phase.
>
> Gromacs 4.6.6
>
> Water box 1.5 nm away from the protein:
> editconf -f $angle.complex.nowat.amber99sb.gro -o
> $angle.complex.nowat.amber99sb.newbox.gro -c -d 1.5 -bt dodecahedron
>
> While the old lysozyme tutorial (
> http://www.bevanlab.biochem.vt.edu/Pages/Personal/justin/gmx-tutorials/lysozyme_old/03_solvate.html)
> used a -d 1.0 waterbox, I worry that the NVE simulation would not be stable
> enough, so I put more water.
>
> I made up these three numbers:

If you use "made up" numbers, then expect made up results.  Cutoffs are part of
the force field, you can't just change them and expect sensible behavior.

> rlist        = 1.8        ; short-range neighborlist cutoff (in nm)
> rcoulomb    = 1.5        ; short-range electrostatic cutoff (in nm)
> rvdw        = 1.5        ; short-range van der Waals cutoff (in nm)
>
> And set the cut offs larger than those in the tutorial, which used OPLS
> forcefield. What should be the correct numbers for Amber99SB? Where can I
> find those?

Try the primary literature reference for the force field.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 601
University of Maryland, Baltimore