[gmx-users] GPU and MPI

Carsten Kutzner ckutzne at gwdg.de
Fri Aug 29 17:16:00 CEST 2014

Hi Dawei,

On 29 Aug 2014, at 16:52, Da-Wei Li <lidawei at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Carsten
>
> Thanks for the clarification. Here it is my benchmark for a small protein
> system (18k atoms).
>
> (1) 1 node (12 cores/node, no GPU):   50 ns/day
> (2) 2 nodes (12 cores/node, no GPU): 80 ns/day
> (3) 1 node (12 cores/node, 2 K40 GPUs/node): 100 ns/day
> (4) 2 nodes (12 cores/node, 2 K40 GPUs/node): 40 ns/day
>

> I send out this question because the benchmark 4 above is very suspicious.
Indeed, if you get 80 ns/day without GPUs, then it should not be less
with GPUs. For how many time steps do you run each of the
benchmarks? Do you use the -resethway command line switch to mdrun
to disregard the first half of the run (where initialization and
balancing is done, you don’t want to count that in a benchmark)?

Carsten