[gmx-users] mdp file coarse grained simulation with cutoff-scheme = Verlet

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Sun Dec 14 21:25:12 CET 2014

On Sun, Dec 14, 2014 at 8:11 PM, Carlos Navarro Retamal <cnavarro at utalca.cl>
wrote:

> Dear Mark,
> Thanks for your quick reply.
> I used this one as a template (provided by one of the tutorials of martini)

Tutorials are generally not normative. Some people's tutorials are
deliberately cut down so that they run quickly. Read the real literature
from the authors of the force field - both the original work and the things
they've published later.

> dt = 0.02 nsteps = 1000000 nstxout = 0 nstvout = 0 nstlog = 10000
> nstxtcout = 1000 xtc-precision = 10 rlist = 1.4 coulombtype = shift
> rcoulomb = 1.2 epsilon_r = 15 vdw-type = shift rvdw-switch = 0.9 rvdw = 1.2
> tcoupl = v-rescale tc-grps = Protein W tau-t = 1.0 1.0 ref-t = 300 300
> Pcoupl = parrinello-rahman Pcoupltype = isotropic tau-p = 12.0
> compressibility = 3e-4 ref-p = 1.0 refcoord_scaling = all
> >

> and i add cutoff-scheme = Verlet, but i got the following errors:
>
> > ERROR 1 [file dynamic.mdp]:
> >   With Verlet lists only cut-off LJ interactions are supported
> >

> > ERROR 2 [file dynamic.mdp]:
> >   With Verlet lists only cut-off, reaction-field, PME and Ewald
> >   electrostatics are supported

These kinds of things are available in Gromacs 5.

so my question is. For a system consisting in a protein and a membrane,
> which options are the correct ones for the vdw and the electrostatic
> interactions? I read on another topic that for the electrostatic
> interactions the PME approximation is the best, but i don’t know which one
> would be the best for the vdw term.

The answer to this question starts with reading the literature :-) For a
membrane system, I think PME for both Coulomb and LJ is appropriate, but
Martini was not parameterized that way, so you should follow the
parameterization they used, unless you can see they've changed their mind
later for systems relevant to yours.

Mark