[gmx-users] Nonsymetric molecule across pbc

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Feb 18 20:17:46 CET 2014

On 2/18/14, 1:37 PM, Steven Neumann wrote:
> Thanks a lot!
> Can you please give me a hint how to apply umbrella sampling to the system of 4
> nanotubes with pbc across xyz so that they infinite in length in z coordinate
> and 2 of them placed with its half to the unit cell copied across y
> coordinate...  I want to see PMF minima (equilibrium distance) between their
> centre of mass... With 2 nanotubes that would be easy (your tutorial) but with 4
> of them? I am thinking of changing the distance between and run windows but no
> clue which group setup as group0 and group1...

It's not clear what your objective really is, and I'm sorry to say that I find
your description to be very confusing.  A picture would help.  What is your
reaction coordinate?  Are you trying to determine the free energy profile for
one tube in relation to another, with 2 others as bystanders, or do the other 2
serve some functional role?  If you're looking to do a multidimensional WHAM,
you'll have to approach each reaction coordinate individually.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 601
University of Maryland, Baltimore