[gmx-users] Gromos DPPC bilayer: different results for 4.0.7 and 4.6.5

Patrick Fuchs patrick.fuchs at univ-paris-diderot.fr
Tue Mar 25 11:40:22 CET 2014

Hi,
I answer a long time after the last discussion of this thread, but I did
some tests in between and discussed with some people. I would like to
follow-up on this issue and sum-up what I found.

After digging into the mailing list, I finally found that the same type
of issue was discussed in 2011 between Antonio Baptista/Miguel
Machuqueiro and gromacs devs. There a typical GROMOS setup (twin-range
cutoff 0.8/1.4 + RF) was giving LINCS crashes (protein simulations in
water) in 4.5 whereas it was stable in 4.0. It looks like that what we
see with the Poger lipids has the same origin (the new reversible
algorithm introduced in 4.5). We don't have crashes because there are no
explicit H in the lipids. So to sum up the situation, if we want a
stable simulation with 4.5 and the GROMOS typical simulation parameters,
that give similar results to 4.0 there seem to be 2 possibilies (maybe
there are others, but at least these 2 have been tested):
1) reduce nstlist to 1 (2 seems to work according to Miguel)
2) increase rlist up to rlist=rcoulomb (I tried Samuli's suggestion
rlist=rcoulomb and recover a correct area on the DPPC system, see
http://redmine.gromacs.org/issues/1400 for the plot).
Both solutions increase a lot the computational cost. For example 2)
gives 1.5 ns/h on my eight-core computer, whereas in 4.0 I had ~ 1.0 ns/h.

In the discussion of 2011 Berk proposed some other possible solutions to
speed up with 4.6
(https://mailman-1.sys.kth.se/pipermail/gromacs.org_gmx-developers/2011-December/005506.html),
but these were not tested to my knowledge.

My concern is that a twin-range/RF setup in version <= 4.0 gives a given
result, but does'nt give the same result in >= 4.5 and possibly crashes.
So I shall say that it would be nice to warn the users that they will
encounter problems when using twin-range/RF with versions >= 4.5. Maybe
with a grompp warning? Section 3.4.7 in the manual may not be the first
place a user will look at.
Anyhow, if for some reason someone wants to use the twin-range cut-off
as it is done in the GROMOS software (with all versions of GROMOS force
fields), one has to stick to 4.0.* or lower.

Best,

Patrick