[gmx-users] Position restraining protein during equilibration stage

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Nov 5 00:03:34 CET 2014

On 11/4/14 5:37 PM, Agnivo Gosai wrote:
> Dear Users
>
> I have followed several GROMACS tutorials , specially the excellent Lemkul
> tutorials. I have seen that during NVT / NPT equilibration states the
> biomolecules like protein / nucleic acids are position restrained.
>
> The general reasoning is that random velocities during equilibration can
> distort the structure of the biomolecules.
>
> During production run the restraints are released. But , I came across a
> case where initially a restrained NVT equilibration is done followed by a
> short un-restrained NVT equilibration. Then they directly proceed to a
> production run with a NPT-styled mdp file.
>
> So , my questions are ;-
>
> (A) When we are doing equilibration with restrained biomolecules are we not
> equilibrating the biomolecule and instead only equilibrating the solvent ?

Well, a restraint is only a biasing potential, so the restrained molecule can
move, but the amount that it moves is limited.  The solvent reorganizes a lot
during equilibration, but there are interactions between the solvent and
restrained molecule that optimize during this time.

> (B) When we remove position-restraining for the production runs are there
> no energy artificats that arise ?

There is a reason that data analysis doesn't begin at t=0.  A period of time is
still required to allow fully unrestrained equilibration.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore