[gmx-users] MD workstation for Gromacs

Szilárd Páll pall.szilard at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 16:57:12 CET 2014

On Mon, Oct 27, 2014 at 2:35 PM, Adelman, Joshua Lev <jla65 at pitt.edu> wrote:

> On Oct 27, 2014, at 3:14 AM, Carsten Kutzner wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> On 27 Oct 2014, at 07:11, Mohammad Hossein Borghei <mh.borghei at gmail.com<mailto:mh.borghei at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> Thank you Szilárd,
>
> So I would be really thankful if you could tell me which configuration is
> the best:
>
> 2x GTX 980
> 2x GTX 780 Ti
> 2x GTX Titan Black
> I would choose between the 980 and the 780Ti, which will give
> you about the same performance. Buy whatever card you can get
> for a cheaper price. The Titan Black will be too expensive in
> relation to performance.
>
> Carsten
>

> Just a note about the GTX 780 Ti. While I don't know if people have had problems running with Gromacs, the Amber developers are recommending against this card due high failure rates:
>
> See the "Supported GPUs" section of:
> http://ambermd.org/gpus/
>
> and the following mailing list thread:
> http://archive.ambermd.org/201406/0289.html
>
> Josh

I have never seen or heard of such issues, but, admittedly, I have
personally not used the 780 Ti a lot except for testing and
benchmarking. While I do not doubt that Scott and Ross from AMBER have
done extensive testing and have a good reason to flag the 780 Ti, the
issues they may simply not affect GROMACS. That's of course just my
educated guess based on the fact that they mention:

"Caution: The GTX-780Ti cards are NOT recommended at this time due to
the high failure rate, believed to be due to insufficient CAS refresh
voltage for the GPU DIMMS, of these models."

and that GROMACS kernels are compute-bound and utilizes the GPU global
memory quite little (<20% of peak bandwidth). It could also be that
factory-overclocked cards produce the high failure rate.

Hence, I still suggest proceeding with caution rather than excluding
the 780 Ti when considering accelerators to use/buy.

Cheers,
--
Szilárd