[gmx-users] Pressure Question

Johnny Lu johnny.lu128 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 00:00:03 CET 2014

Well... I finally have to accept that I really need NVE. Some forum posts
suggested to run NPT, then NVT, and finally NVE.

For ideal gas law, if we fix the number of molecules and the temperature,
then fixing the volume at different value means changing the pressure.
So, I guess pressure is still meaningful, if I have to decide the correct
volume to run the NVT simulation.

For a large number of ideal gas molecules, averages of all thermodynamic
variables should be defined, regardless of which three of them is fixed or
which ensemble do I choose to represent the state.
For a small number of molecules, the distribution of the thermodynamic
variables should still have a definition (so, the average and the
distribution of pressure is still meaningful).

For a protein simulation, it still has a partition function, and equation
of state.

I mainly want to know how much error in pressure (deviation from 1 bar) is
acceptable.