[gmx-users] gmx covar (Version 5.x) segfaults with covariance matrices bigger than 1500x1500

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 17:01:08 CET 2014

On Thu, Nov 6, 2014 at 4:35 PM, Machtens, Jan-Philipp <
j.machtens at fz-juelich.de> wrote:

> Hi,
> yes I will post that to redmine soon, but let me first clarify the issue,
> since I tested some more conditions in the meantime.
> (I realized that my trajectory had 1501 frames and the error occured when
> I choose more than 500 atoms, i.e. when the number of degrees of freedom
> becomes larger then the number of frames).
> So in general, if your trajectory has nf frames, g_covar will result in a
> segfault if the group to be (covariance) analyzed is larger then nf/3 atoms.
> If found this statement to be true for gromacs 4.6.6, 4.6.7 and 5.0.2.
> This error does not happen for gromacs 4.6.5
>
> So, I wonder whether this is an unwanted behaviour which has been
> introduced in 4.6.6? Do you think this behavior makes sense ? The official
> release notes for 4.6.6 do not mention changes in g_covar.

Correct, but a change (git hash 972032bfb8) that was intended to fix a
problem observed with g_anaeig also affected code in g_covar (which I have
now corrected in the release notes). The nature of the change seems very
consistent with your observations.

Mark

Best,