[gmx-users] centering a protofibril in a box

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Nov 6 23:54:20 CET 2014

On 11/6/14 10:58 AM, Adriana Garro wrote:
> Thanks Justin.
> I know it was not enough clear, it was because of my limited English
> proficiency.
> What I wanted (and want) to do is centering the first monomer of the
> protofibril in the box, so the protofibril would be shifted to the bottom
> part allowing aggregate more and more monomers without having to use a
> bigger box.
> But using this
>
> trjconv -f protofibril.pdb -n index.ndx -center -s  protofibril.pdb -o
> test.pdb
>
> (index.ndx  is an index I did for the residues corresponding to the first
> monomer and that is which I chose as "select group for centering")
>
> what I get is that the center of the box matches with the center of the
> protofibril (looking at the longitudinal direction of the protofibril), as
> it doesnt care about the index.

I suppose it depends on the dimensions of the box as defined in the .pdb file.

> By the way, do you know why  -s file.pdb is required?

In general, it depends on what you're actually doing.  The information in -s may
be used for box information, masses, atom/residue names, etc.  In this case,
trjconv needs names.  Any time you want to write a coordinate file, you need to
supply a suitable input for -s.

> Maybe it is not possible to do what I want with this command; but it is
> just center the protofibril with respect to its first monomer.
> I will try with editconf instead.

That would likely be easiest.  Extract the COM coordinates using g_traj, then
you know exactly how much you need to translate the structure.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore