[gmx-users] Relation between bonds and nstlist

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Nov 7 22:25:02 CET 2014

On 11/7/14 8:06 AM, Mario Fernández Pendás wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thank you for your reference Nizar, I will read it carefully.
>
> Justin, the problem is that I am using my own version of the code with
> Hybrid Monte Carlo included. Now I am observing that there is a relation
> between the value of nstlist and the acceptance rate and accuracy of the
> HMC, so I was trying to guess in which part of the simulation this value is
> playing a key role.

So I'm assuming you're using a modified mdrun as your MC engine, then?  If
that's the case, I would assume you'd probably have to set nstlist = 1 for
anything to make sense.  If you're making MC moves but not updating the
neighborlist every time you do, you'd probably end up calculating a bunch of
spurious stuff.

-Justin

> Thank you very much,
> Mario Fernández-Pendás
> El 07/11/2014 13:42, "Justin Lemkul" <jalemkul at vt.edu> escribió:
>

>> On 11/7/14 6:23 AM, Mario Fernández Pendás wrote:
>>
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> Is it possible that the choice of the value of nstlist can have any
>>> influence in the behaviour of the bonds between atoms?
>>>

>> Highly unlikely.  Any atoms participating in bonds or angles have their
>> nonbonded interactions excluded.  Dihedrals (1-4 interactions) are usually
>> included as normal or scaled nonbonded interactions, but occur at a
>> distance usually within rlist, so the calculation of those interactions
>> should not be affected by nstlist.
>>
>> Can you describe more exactly the problem you're having?  There are a
>> number of variables at play so it's hard to guess.
>>
>> -Justin
>>
>> --
>>
>> Justin A. Lemkul, Ph.D.

>> School of Pharmacy
>> Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
>> University of Maryland, Baltimore
>> 20 Penn St.
>> Baltimore, MD 21201

>> * Please search the archive at http://www.gromacs.org/
>> Support/Mailing_Lists/GMX-Users_List before posting!

>> * For (un)subscribe requests visit

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences