[gmx-users] (no subject)

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Nov 10 00:21:34 CET 2014

On 11/9/14 5:09 PM, Thomas Lipscomb wrote:
> Ok I got it to work but then I got an error during this:
> /usr/local/gromacs/bin/gmx grompp -f ions.mdp -c model1_solv.gro -p topol.top -o ions.tpr

> Program gmx, VERSION 5.0.1
> Source code file: /home/tlipscomb/gromacs-5.0.1/src/gromacs/gmxpreprocess/grompp.c, line: 603
>
> Fatal error:
> number of coordinates in coordinate file (model1_solv.gro, 12266)
>               does not match topology (topol.top, 11116)

This is a common error resulting from incorrect bookkeeping.  The addition of
solvent and ions doesn't happen until after lipid compaction, so I don't know
why you're doing this.

> Maybe I should modify this so it is topol.top instead of topol_dppc.top?:

As I said before, topol_dppc.top is specific to the DPPC bilayer and is only
ever used to account for DPPC periodicity.  Do not use it for anything else.

> /usr/local/gromacs/bin/gmx grompp -f minim.mdp -c system_shrink1.gro -p topol_dppc.top -o em1.tpr
> /usr/local/gromacs/bin/gmx mdrun -s em1.tpr -v
> perl inflategro.pl system_shrink1.gro 0.95 DPPC 0 system_shrink2.gro 5 area_shrink2.dat
>
> /usr/local/gromacs/bin/gmx grompp -f minim.mdp -c system_shrink2.gro -p topol_dppc.top -o em2.tpr
> /usr/local/gromacs/bin/gmx mdrun -s em2.tpr -v
> perl inflategro.pl system_shrink2.gro 0.95 DPPC 0 system_shrink3.gro 5 area_shrink3.dat
>
> etc.
>
> FIXED?:

No, this approach is incorrect because the intervening minimization steps is
never actually utilized.  Explained:

> /usr/local/gromacs/bin/gmx grompp -f minim.mdp -c system_shrink1.gro -p topol.top -o em1.tpr

This is correct.

> /usr/local/gromacs/bin/gmx mdrun -s em1.tpr -v

I would recommend avoiding the use of default names.  I would suggest you use
-deffnm to name everything "em1" so you know exactly what you're dealing with.

> perl inflategro.pl system_shrink1.gro 0.95 DPPC 0 system_shrink2.gro 5 area_shrink2.dat

Here, you've basically ignored the previous mdrun.  The file system_shrink1.gro
is the un-minimized output of InflateGRO.  This is not what you want.  The input
coordinate file at this step should be the output of energy minimization, viz.
confout.gro if you're using default names or em1.gro if you use my -deffnm approach.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore