[gmx-users] GROMACS 5 - problem with LINCS with freeze groups

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 14:41:59 CET 2014

Hi,

You are using settings that trigger the group-scheme twin-range code.
There's been a code bug there for a very long time, which we fixed after
4.6.5 (see http://redmine.gromacs.org/issues/1400. "Normal" usage such as
in your .mdp file also tended to be broken when simulating water, which
masked the code bug; your 4.6.5 run may look smooth, but probably the
thermostat is hiding the systematic problem of nstlist*dt being too large
to properly model water libration, and the symptoms of the virial problem
we fixed are lost in the noise.

If you can try 4.6.7, I expect that you will observe the same problems you
see in 5.0.x. That will help us know what to consider fixing. We certainly
didn't test the freeze-group functionality, so we could well have
introduced a new problem, such as adding force components that were already
zeroed for freezing. If I'm right about 4.6.7 also being broken, please
file an issue at http://redmine.gromacs.org with a tarball of your grompp
input files.

Mark