[gmx-users] Force field parameter for Fe, Mo, Mn, Cd, Ni and Co.

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Nov 20 19:47:33 CET 2014

On 11/19/14 10:52 PM, majid foroughi wrote:
> Hello, I am using Gromacs version 4.6.6 and GROMOS96 53a6 force field.I am
> studying a metalloprotein with zinc in active site, now I wanna substitute
> the zinc ion with other metal ions such as Fe, Mo, Mn, Cd, Ni and Co, to see
> the protein stability and other features. But cannot make topology file for
> the protein with these metal ions because the force field is not parametrised
> for these ions. Now my question is, where can I find the data required to
> parametrized these metal ions in the gromacs force field. Also I wish to be
> guided on the approach how to parametrize these metal ions.

I doubt you'll ever get a good model with a typical MM force field.  There's a
reason the parameters aren't there already.

http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/How-tos/Parameterization#Exotic_Species

QM/MM is probably a much better idea than plain MD.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore