[gmx-users] DPPC replication error

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Nov 21 03:37:46 CET 2014

On 11/20/14 2:21 PM, Priya Das wrote:
> Dear Sir,
>
> The sequence of commands are as follows:
>
> # replicate 4 boxes of 128 dppc with SOL
> $ genconf -f dppc128.gro -o dppcnew.gro -box 2 2 1
>
> # generated .tpr file for new dppc with 512 lipid
> $ grompp -f minim.mdp -c dppcnew.gro -p topol_dppc.top -o em.tpr
>
> #removed periodicity
> $ trjconv -s em.tpr -f dppcnew.gro -o dppcnew_whole.gro -pbc mol -ur compact
>
> # inserted my protein in new lipid bilayer
> $editconf -f 1AKL.gro -o 1AKL_new.gro -c -box 12.41840 12.44350 6.59650
>
> #concatenate protein and lipid
> cat 1AKL.gro dppcnew_whole.gro > system.gro

Did you correctly update the second line of system.gro to reflect the actual
number of atoms in the system?  This is the most likely source of error.

> #inflate.pl
>
> $ perl inflategro.pl system.gro 4 DPPC 0 system_inflated.gro 5 area.dat
>
> After running inflate.pl, the protein is centered in the empty box ;
> with only one quadrant filled with 128 lipid. the rest of quadrants
> are empty.

There should be no obvious quadrants here; the lipids should all be spread
evenly throughout the expanded unit cell.  This observation suggests that my
point above is correct; an incorrectly formatted .gro file has led to
misinterpretation of the contents.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629