[gmx-users] Umbrella Sampling gromacs 5.0 error

Alexander Law alexander.law at pg.canterbury.ac.nz
Mon Nov 24 00:39:30 CET 2014

Hi Justin

I downloaded the compressed folder from this website: http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Tutorials/GROMACS_USA_Workshop_and_Conference_2013/Computing_potentials_of_mean_force%3A_Justin_Lemkul,_Session_2A

Within it the the npt_umbrella.mdp file reads continuation = yes, gen-vel = yes.

I've ran ~15 simulations over the weekend with continuation = yes, gen-vel= no

Are these simulations unsuitable for umbrella sampling?

I am assuming they are, so I've started a new sequence with not_umbrella.mdp reading the same as: http://bevanlab.biochem.vt.edu/Pages/Personal/justin/gmx-tutorials/umbrella/Files/npt_umbrella.mdp

This produces this error:
 WARNING 1 [file npt_umbrella.mdp]:
  You are generating velocities so I am assuming you are equilibrating a
  system. You are using Parrinello-Rahman pressure coupling, but this can
  be unstable for equilibration. If your system crashes, try equilibrating
  first with Berendsen pressure coupling. If you are not equilibrating the
  system, you can probably ignore this warning.

Since I am not equilibrating I've avoided this using the -maxwarn command and started a new sequence for umbrella sampling.