[gmx-users] ex g_sas and hydrophobicity

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Nov 25 13:28:35 CET 2014

On 11/24/14 11:32 PM, Jernej Zidar wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>    I was wondering how 'gmx surface' and g_sas determine the
> hydrophobicity and hydrophilicity of a particular atom. The manual
> states it uses partial atomic charges to accomplish this, that's why a
> user must supply a TPR file. The maximum partial atomic charge of a
> hydrophobic atom in this scheme appears to be 0.2.

More specifically, 0.2 is the limit of the absolute value of the charge.

>    Does this mean that an aliphatic methyl carbon atom with a partial
> atomic charge of -0.27 (in the CHARMM forcefield) is classified as a
> hydrophilic atom?

Yes, hence why the assumption about 0.2 e is not always a good one.
Fortunately, this is where index groups come in handy.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore