[gmx-users] DPPC replication error

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Nov 25 13:30:29 CET 2014

On 11/25/14 12:30 AM, Priya Das wrote:
> Dear Sir,
>
> I took 128 dppc.pdb, dppc.itp and lipid.itp from Tielemans site (
> http://people.ucalgary.ca/~tieleman/download.html). For my work i need to
> replicate 128 dppc.pdb four times to get 512 lipid molecules.
>

> The sequence of commands are as follows:
>
> # replicate 4 boxes of 128 dppc with SOL
> $ genconf -f dppc128.gro -o dppcnew.gro -box 2 2 1

You need to remove periodicity effects before running genconf.

> # generated .tpr file for new dppc with 512 lipid
> $ grompp -f minim.mdp -c dppcnew.gro -p topol_dppc.top -o em.tpr
>
> #removed periodicity
> $ trjconv -s em.tpr -f dppcnew.gro -o dppcnew_whole.gro -pbc mol -ur compact

This call to trjconv is not necessary, and periodicity should have been
accounted for first.

> # inserted my protein in new lipid bilayer
> $editconf -f 1AKL.gro -o 1AKL_new.gro -c -box 12.41840 12.44350 6.59650
>
> #concatenate protein and lipid
> cat 1AKL.gro dppcnew_whole.gro > system.gro

After doing this, you have to manually update the contents of the .gro file
(removing intervening box vectors and title lines, updating the number of
atoms); did you do this correctly?

-Justin

> #inflate.pl
>
> $ perl inflategro.pl system.gro 4 DPPC 0 system_inflated.gro 5 area.dat
>
> *After running inflate.pl <http://inflate.pl>, the protein is centered
> in the empty box ; with only  128 lipid. *

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore