[gmx-users] regarding g_rdf

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Nov 26 04:28:52 CET 2014

On 11/25/14 11:44 AM, soumadwip ghosh wrote:
> Dear all,
>                I am willing to calculate the rdf of certain cations from
> different group of molecules in the system. For example, I have got a DNA
> backbone (having P, O1P and O2P atoms), DNA major groove (having all the
> atoms a guanine and cytosine residue can have together) and a minor groove
> (having all the atoms an adenine and thymine residue can have together).
> Now I want to calculate g_rdf between Na/ backbone, Na/minor and Na/major.
> Should I proceed with the -com option or not? I am not understanding the
> concept of -rdf option for selecting between geometry/molecules.

I would not use -com in this case, given the level of detail you're likely to
need when doing this analysis.  It's not useful to get an RDF of ions around a
COM of some residues in such a specific location, especially when binding to
specific moieties may be of particular interest.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore