[gmx-users] Gromacs Version 5.0.2 - Bug #1603

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 22:29:43 CEST 2014

On Wed, Oct 8, 2014 at 8:24 PM, Siva Dasetty <sdasett at g.clemson.edu> wrote:

> Thank You Mark for the reply.
>
> Now that clears my confusion about the values in the PP-PME load part of
> the log file. However, I am still a little bit confused about how to
> distinguish between a normal-but-not-guranteed change and the normal
> change,

They're the same thing. It is normal that rcoulomb changes as a result of
tuning. But it is not guaranteed to be changed - depends on your simulation
setup, CPU, network, phase of the moon...

> though I understood that for a normal change we can compare the
> densities obtained from GPU runs and the CPU only runs to verify the
> results.
>
> Also, I have a general question about using vdwtype as PME.
>
> Is it advisable to use vdwtype as PME when I am using GPU runs?

That's two questions in one. LJ-PME with the Verlet scheme runs on GPUs.
Whether your simulation should use LJ-PME depends on whether you judge that
the effects of inaccurate treatment of long-range inhomogeneity would be
noticeable in your system. You should check out the papers cited in the
GROMACS manual (and one more is submitted). I personally think the decision
is a no-brainer for a membrane+protein system, for example. But for
calculating the free-energy of solvation of methanol in water... probably
immaterial.

Mark