[gmx-users] Use NVT to mimic NVE

Michael Shirts mrshirts at gmail.com
Sat Oct 11 14:56:19 CEST 2014

Following up on fluctuations and ensembles:

The following paper discusses tests of whether an ensemble has the correct
distribution of energies, including fluctuations of all scale:

"Simple quantitative tests to validate sampling from thermodynamic
ensembles"
http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ct300688p

Turns out that v-rescale behaves very well, at least for fluctuations of
the total energy.

In the limit of large scale, for NVE and NVT (if carried out at the
temperature where <E>_NVT = E_NVE, then all system averages (including
pressure, etc) will be equal.  But the fluctuations (which include 2nd
derivative properties like heat capacity, etc). will not be equal.  So it
depends on what you are interested in.

If you are interested in thermodynamics, just go ahead and run the ensemble
you are interested in.  If you are interested in dynamics, you can check
out this paper which partly answers the questions of what the artifacts are
created by thermostats.  Again, vrescale is quite good --  Langevin or
anything with stochastic noise is not so good.

"Effects of Temperature Control Algorithms on Transport Properties and
Kinetics in Molecular Dynamics Simulations"
http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ct400109a

Best,
Michael Shirts
Associate Professor