[gmx-users] Use NVT to mimic NVE

Michael Shirts mrshirts at gmail.com
Sun Oct 12 21:30:46 CEST 2014

> If we use thermostats, the thermostats will correct the energy drop/raise
caused by numerical error (which acts as a fluctuating source/sink that may
not even follow the normal distribution), without causing additional
artifacts.

Thermostats correct SOME of the artifacts.  It is not always clear which
ones.

> Regardless, thermostats causes artifacts, especially in dynamics and
rates.

In SOME cases it may be negligible.  In others, not.  It is very hard to
say.

See our paper linked before http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ct400109a
"Effects of Temperature Control Algorithms on Transport Properties and
Kinetics in Molecular Dynamics Simulations"  which covers most short-time
scale effects.

Whether the thermostats that do not affect short time scale properties to
any noticable degree still affect long-time scale properties through some
sort of error accumulation is not known, nor which properties they might
affect.