[gmx-users] Performance degradation for Verlet cutoff-scheme compared to group

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Mon Oct 13 11:31:12 CEST 2014

Hi,

Very likely that simulation is too small to make good use of that many
cores (though if there's hyper-threading going on, then there may only be 8
real cores, and you may do better with hyper-threading off...). Gromacs use
of OpenMP does not do very well with lots of threads and few atoms. If you
share a link to a log file on a file-sharing service, there might be
relevant observations people could make. If running multiple replicates of
your simulation is a sensible thing to do, you will likely get much better
value from your hardware by running several such simulations per node (e.g.
with mdrun_mpi -multi)

Mark