[gmx-users] Parameter conversion from GAFF to Gromacs

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Oct 16 19:29:36 CEST 2014

On 10/16/14 1:24 PM, Rohit Farmer wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have recently converted the whole of GAFF parameters database to Gromacs
> format to use with the AMBER 99SB ILDN forcefield. My intention was to
> simulate a number of ligands which I covalently bound to a residue in the
> protein. So if I bind something to a residue then I am effectively adding a
> new residue in the system. Therefore I though I might convert the GAFF
> database and integrate it into Gromacs databases. I did it successfully and
> it seems everything is working fine as well.
>
> But I did have query regarding the conversion formulae I used for the bond
> length and angle constants. Bond anlge constant in GAFF is in kcal/mol/rad2
> where as in Gromacs its in kJ/mol/rad2 so the conversion formula which I
> used was (gaff value * 4.184 * 2). I actually took this conversion formulae
> from amb2gmx.pl script which many people use. I understand that we need to
> multiply gaff value with 4.184 to convert Kcal to KJ but I did not
> understand why we need to multiple the whole thing by 2. Can somebody
> please help me with this unit conversion stuff. I might be just stupid in
> not knowing simple chemistry.

It's a matter of convention.  Some programs use k/2 in their parameter files,
other programs use k and then divide by 2 when calculating forces.  In Gromacs
topologies and force field files, specify k directly.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore