[gmx-users] MD workstation

Hadházi Ádám hadadam at gmail.com
Fri Oct 17 05:51:56 CEST 2014

> Is there any progress in openCL versions of Gromacs, as it is listed on
> the developer site?  Just askin.  One thing I ran across is one can get
> integrated GPU arrays on a board if you find say Russian board designs from
> China for about the same price with 10x the computational speed, but the
> boards would be largly OpenCL dependent.
>
> Stephan Watkins
>  *Gesendet:* Donnerstag, 16. Oktober 2014 um 20:21 Uhr
> *Von:* "Szilárd Páll" <pall.szilard at gmail.com>
> *An:* "Discussion list for GROMACS users" <gmx-users at gromacs.org>
> *Betreff:* Re: [gmx-users] MD workstation
> On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 3:35 PM, Hadházi Ádám <hadadam at gmail.com> wrote:
> > May I ask why your config is better than e.g.
> >
> > 2x Intel Xeon E5-2620 CPUs (2x$405)
> > 4x GTX 970(4x $330)
> > 1x Z9PE-D8 WS ($449)
> > 64 GB DDR3 ($600)
> > PSU 1600W, ($250)
> > standard 2TB 5400rpm drive, ($85)
> > total: (~$3500)
>
> Mirco's suggested setup will give much higher *aggregate* simulation
> throughput. GROMACS uses both CPUs and GPUs and requires a balanced
> resource mix to run efficiently (less so if you don't use PME). The
> E5-2620 is rather slow and it will be a good match for a single GTX
> 970, perhaps even a 980, but it will be the limiting factor with two
> GPUs per socket.

Maybe this is not the best forum for this question, but I also plan to use
AMBER and Desmond for MD/FEP purposes.
Question: Is the recommended 4x1 node config the best setup for these 2
other software too?

> > As for your setup...can I use that 4 nodes in parallel for 1 long
> > simulation or 1 FEP job?
>
> Not without a fast network.

What would be a fast network? How should I connect them?
Is 8GB memory really enough/node?

> > What are the weak points of my workstation?
>
> The CPU. Desktop IVB-E or HSW-E (e.g. i7 49XX, 59XX) will give much
> better performance per buck.
>
> Also note:
> * your smaller 25k MD setup will not scale across multiple GPUs;
> * in FEP runs you, by sharing a GPU between multiple runs you can
> increase the aggregate throughput by quite a lot!
>
> Do you mean, by sharing 1 GPU between multiple FEP runs, or  by sharing
more GPUs between multiple FEP runs?

We have an access to a server having multiple nodes... both of them
possesses 4x Intel X5675 (3.07GHz) CPU (each 6 cores) and 6x NVIDIA Tesla
M2070 GPU). Total: 2 x (24 cores and 6 GPU).
Question: Is this a good construction for MD/FEP?

Regards,
Ádám