[gmx-users] How to calculate protein-surface interaction energy

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sat Oct 18 15:06:00 CEST 2014

On 10/18/14 8:51 AM, James Lord wrote:
> Hi Justin,
> Thanks for the prompt answer. I selected LJ-(SR) but I am getting a
> positive fluctuating line over the simulation time. Looking at the vmd
> movie I can see that protein (Lysozyme) is coming into contact with surface
> afte 10ns and is 5 nm away at the beginning?? my surface is a not charged
> (polyethylene)?? I'd expect zero energy at beginning and upon touching the
> surface negative value??? any comments? Sorry this has nothing to do with
> Gromacs.

A few things:

1. Make sure your index groups are correctly constructed.
2. What does 5 nm correspond to?  A COM distance?  A minimum distance?  If the
latter, then the LJ-SR energy should likely be zero, but if it's a COM distance,
that's not necessarily the case.
3. Is your PE model united-atom or all-atom?  If the latter, you still have
partial charges that will contribute to a negative Coul-SR (of course, this is
something you can check very simply)

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629