[gmx-users] NaCl force field with GROMOS 54A7

Thomas Piggot t.piggot at soton.ac.uk
Sun Oct 19 18:23:48 CEST 2014

Hi,

For the ion parameters, I have seen the issue of forming salt crystals
at relatively high concentrations (1M) (see
http://redmine.gromacs.org/issues/773 for a few more details). The only
paper I can remember reading which shows and discusses problems with the
54A7/54A8 NaCl parameters being 'too sticky' is this one:

http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ct300874c

Regarding whether these issues means they 'should never be used', I
think that this is quite an extreme statement. I would argue it depends
upon how/why you are using them. Something along the lines of 'use them
with caution' is probably more of an appropriate statement to make. I
can't see, for example, how having one counter-ion used to neutralise a
system would be a problem.

Cheers

Tom

--