[gmx-users] question about topologies

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Oct 21 18:45:08 CEST 2014

Most of your questions are basic (bio)chemistry; I would suggest consulting some
textbook material before diving into simulations, which add another layer of
complexity.

On 10/21/14 12:30 PM, Marcello Cammarata wrote:

> Hi,
> i am studied the capter 5 about topology, and o did not understand some aspect:
> 1-in the a.tp file, what does means the number after the simbol?

Atomic mass.

> 0   15.999 (C==0)
> OM  15.99  (CO)
> C   12.01  (C=0, C-N)
>
> 2- witch differences are between O and C?

O is oxygen, C is carbon.  Note these are the letter O, not the number zero.
Different atom types are used depending on the chemical nature of the functional
group.  For instance, O is used for carbonyl and amide groups.  OM is for
carboxylic acids (deprotonated).

> 3- The file with the virtual sites what estention need to have?

.vsd

> 4- in the manual is presented a case of a rtp file of [GLY] according with the
> structure that is C2H5NO2
>    so questions are:
>    a) there is a -C in the last row. Is this C part of the molecule?

The minus prefix indicates the previous residue, i.e. the peptide bond in the
backbone.

>    b) Why the group CH2 is called CA?

"Alpha carbon" is standard biochemical nomenclature, then positions are named
with Greek letters down the chain - beta (CB), gamma (CG), etc.

>    c) What differences are between C and O, if both are C=0?

I don't understand this question, aside from the fact that C and O are different
atoms.  They form a double bond (hence C=O) in several functional groups.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore