[gmx-users] charge group moved too far between two domain decomposition step

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 11:13:23 CEST 2014

On Wed, Oct 22, 2014 at 6:37 AM, Kester Wong <Kester2014 at ibs.re.kr> wrote:

> Hi Mark,
>

> Thanks for the input, I thought a time step of 2 fs is small enough?

Not always for unconstrained bonds. The largest stable time step is
determined by the size of the period of the fastest oscillation, which is
vibrations of bonds to hydrogen. 2fs stretches the friendship there, and
you would certainly want to equilibrate thoroughly at a smaller time step
if you are doing messy things like freezing nanotubes and using pressure
coupling (which would not be my go-to method without a clear demonstration
that it produces valid results). More generally, equilibration of a
not-quite-right structure works better with a smaller timestep, because
that copes better with the artificially large forces you get...

> Should I change my constraint to constraints = h-bonds instead?

That would be normal.

> Or,
>

> Should I use:
>
> dt = 0.001        ; 1 fs
>
> constraints = none
>
> constraint-algorithm = shake

Plausible, but you want to run the final simulation with constraints for
the higher ns/day you obtain...

Mark

Cheers,