[gmx-users] Naughty Vacuum Bubble in our Vesicle!

rajat desikan rajatdesikan at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 17:32:36 CET 2014

Hi Bjorn,
I agree with Andre. Pack more water molecules inside the vesicle than what
you currently have. It is likely that the water penetrates quite a bit into
the headgroups, and hence you need more waters than you think (since water
can hydrogen bond with the lipid head groups). Also try warming the waters
slowly with an SA protocol while restraining the lipids.

Regards,

On Monday, October 27, 2014, André Farias de Moura <moura at ufscar.br> wrote:

> Dear Manuel/Björn,
>
> you cannot ignore that vesicle-like structures have a complex interfacial
> energy, with terms arising from both the packing of lipids and the
> curvature of the interface, among other factors. If it happens that you
> placed the wrong number of water molecules inside the cavity, pressure
> coupling with ordinary pressure values cannot fix a vacuum bubble just like
> it would for an isotropic liquid, because the elimination of the bubble
> would then require that both lipid packing and interface curvature should
> change (your result clearly says that it is preferable to form a vacuum
> bubble than to shrink the vesicle itself - and this is not a simulation
> issue neither it is an artifact, this is just a balance between different
> surface energy contributions arising from the vacuum cavity and the vesicle
> interfaces). As I see it, you should try to remove fewer water molecules
> from the original cavity (maybe relaxing the distance criteria to remove an
> overlapping water molecule).
>
> I hope it helps.
>
> best,
>
> Andre
>

> On Mon, Oct 27, 2014 at 1:15 PM, Björn Sommer <bjoern at cellmicrocosmos.org
> <javascript:;>>
> wrote:
>
> > Dear all,
> >
> > we are trying to simulate a vesicle in water using united-atoms
> > (Gromos96/ffG45a3). The system was modelled with the VesicleBuilder and
> the
> > MembraneEditor. So first the vesicle was built (with 3 components: 2 PC,
> 1
> > Chol), and then it was embedded in a water (spc216) box with genbox. The
> > membrane-intersecting water was removed by a custom Python script in VMD.
> > After the removel or the intersecting water, the water seems to be very
> > well enclosed in the inner membrane, without intersecting water atoms and
> > with only a little space between the inner head groups and the water.
> >
> > The system minimization in water (spc216) worked pretty well, but after
> > NPT-equillibration I found a vacuum bubble in the intracellular room of
> the
> > vesicle.
> >
> > I tried to do a NVT-equillibration before the NPT, which ended with the
> > same result.
> >
> > Using different barostats (parrinello-rahman, Berendsen) and
> > refcoord-scaling options could'nt change anything, too.
> >
> > To "repair" the vacuum I tried to manually insert some water using pymol,
> > after equillibrating this system again, i got the same result with an
> even
> > bigger bubble in the centre.
> >
> > Analysing my system with g_energy showed a volume increase about 400nm³,
> > which is rawly 4% more than the volume of the starting system. The
> systems
> > energy increased by 20 kJ/mol.
> >
> > Trying to simulate the vesicle with the vacuum bubble inside resulted in
> [...]

Rajat Desikan (Ph.D Scholar)
Prof. K. Ganapathy Ayappa's Lab (no 13),
Dept. of Chemical Engineering,
Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore