[gmx-users] Assigning mass to a virtual site

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Oct 29 13:20:08 CET 2014

On 10/29/14 6:32 AM, Kester Wong wrote:
> Dear all,
>

> I am creating a topology file for hydroxide, closely following the parameters
> from the paper by Wolf et al:
>
> http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.bpj.2014.04.062
>

> This is somewhat similar to the polarisable hydroxide topology that was included
> in the recent SWM4-NDP force field.
>

> In this non-polarisable topology, I would like to know what atomic number should
> one label for the OH-OV2 type atom, as it was defined as a virtual site (but
> with 1 a.m.u assigned) in the paper's supporting material. I have labeled the
> atomic number with "X" as below:
>

> [ atomtypes ]
>
> ;name   at.num  mass    charge  ptype   sigma   epsilon
>
> OH-O    8       11.9980         -1.32   A       0.00            0.00
>
> OH-H    1       1.00800          0.00   A       0.14            0.2150576
>
> OH-OV1  0       0.00000          0.00   D       0.2916          0.2150576
>
> OH-OV2  X       1.00000          0.00   A       0.25            0.2150576
>
> OH-qH   0       0.00000          0.32   D       0.00            0.00
>

> Can an atom (ptype=A) have zero at.num?

I would suggest you simply ask the authors to provide you with their topology.
There are several details that are unclear to me, and I do not see anything that
says the V1 or V2 sites carry any mass.  Maybe I missed it due to a quick
read-through, but this is in any case a very tricky setup.  Don't reinvent the
wheel; get the information straight from the people that did it.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore