[gmx-users] Packmol starting .pdb and proper equilibration

Ioanna Styliari paxids at nottingham.ac.uk
Wed Oct 29 19:08:22 CET 2014

Dear Gromacs users,

I am simulating a system that contains a drug nanoparticle in amorphous state, surrounded by water and the water is also surrounded by acetone (imagine 2 concentric spheres for the first two inside one big box for the acetone).

I used to build the system using gromacs editconf and more precisely building one box at a time and running em, nvt and npt equilibration for each one of the extra box-layers I was adding. However this was a very tedious procedure so I have started recently building the system using Packmol. Once I get the pdb from packmol I edit it to add the box dimensions with editconf and then go through an em, nvt, npt (usually 100ps) for the whole system.
I have already run 4-5 simulations of 50ns and 100ns and they were running fine (they are running on parallel in a cluster). However in my last one I got the following error:

Fatal error:
1 particles communicated to PME node 20 are more than 2/3 times the cut-off out of the domain decomposition cell of their charge group in dimension y.

I know this means that the system is not well equilibrated but after the nvt and npt the T and P are converged. I have reduced the time step to 1fs but I am also worried that the equilibration is not the correct one. It is also worth saying that I had similar errors even with my previous building procedure using gromacs.

Any suggestions/experiences with using Packmol? I am also attaching my mdp options below just in case.

Thank you very much for your time in advance,

Ioanna Styliari

EM:
integrator    = steep       ; Algorithm (steep = steepest descent minimization)
emtol         = 10.0        ; Stop minimization when the maximum force < 10.0 kJ/mol/nm
emstep        = 0.001       ; Energy step size
nsteps        = 500000      ; Maximum number of (minimization) steps to perform

; Parameters describing how to find the neighbours of each atom and how to calculate the interactions
Nstlist       = 1           ; Frequency to update the neighbour list and long range forces
ns_type       = grid        ; Method to determine neighbour list (simple, grid)
rlist         = 1.0         ; Cut-off for making neighbour list (short range forces)
coulombtype   = PME         ; Treatment of long range electrostatic interactions
rcoulomb      = 1.0         ; Short-range electrostatic cut-off
vdw-type      = Cut-off
rvdw          = 1.0         ; Short-range Van der Waals cut-off
pbc           = xyz         ; Periodic Boundary Conditions
NVT
title         = pol1-box NVT
; Run parameters
integrator    = md          ;
nsteps        = 100000      ; 100 ps
dt            = 0.001       ; 1 fs
; Bond parameters
continuation  = no          ; first dynamics run
; Neighborsearching
ns_type       = grid        ; search neighboring grid cells
nstlist       = 5           ;
rlist         = 1.0         ; short-range neighborlist cutoff (in nm)
rcoulomb      = 1.0         ; short-range electrostatic cutoff (in nm)
rvdw          = 1.0         ; short-range van der Waals cutoff (in nm)
; Electrostatics
coulombtype   = PME         ; Particle Mesh Ewald for long-range electrostatics
pme_order     = 4           ; cubic interpolation
fourierspacing       = 0.16        ; grid spacing for FFT
; Temperature coupling is on
tcoupl        = V-rescale   ; modified Berendsen thermostat
tc-grps       = system      ;
tau_t         = 0.1         ; time constant, in ps
ref_t         = 300         ; reference temperature, one for each group, in K
; Pressure coupling is off
pcoupl        = no          ; no pressure coupling in NVT
; Periodic boundary conditions
pbc           = xyz         ; 3-D PBC
; Dispersion correction
DispCorr      = EnerPres    ; account for cut-off vdW scheme
; Velocity generation
gen_vel       = yes         ; assign velocities from Maxwell distribution
gen_temp      = 300         ; temperature for Maxwell distribution
gen_seed      = -1          ; generate a random seed

constraints   = none

NPT
title         = pol1-box NPT
; Run parameters
integrator    = md
nsteps        = 100000
dt            = 0.001
; Bond parameters
continuation  = yes         ; Restarting after NVT
; Neighborsearching
ns_type       = grid        ; search neighbouring grid cells
nstlist       = 5           ;  fs
rlist         = 1.0         ; short-range neighbourlist cutoff (in nm)
rcoulomb      = 1.0         ; short-range electrostatic cutoff (in nm)
rvdw          = 1.0         ; short-range van der Waals cutoff (in nm)
; Electrostatics
coulombtype   = PME         ; Particle Mesh Ewald for long-range electrostatics
pme_order     = 4           ; cubic interpolation
fourierspacing       = 0.16        ; grid spacing for FFT
; Temperature coupling is on
tcoupl        = V-rescale   ; modified Berendsen thermostat
tc-grps       = system      ;
tau_t         = 0.1         ; time constant, in ps
ref_t         = 300         ; reference temperature, one for each group, in K
; Pressure coupling is on
pcoupl        = berendsen   ; Pressure coupling on in NPT
pcoupltype    = isotropic   ; uniform scaling of box vectors
tau_p         = 2.0         ; time constant, in ps
ref_p         = 1.0         ; reference pressure, in bar
compressibility = 4.5e-5    ; isothermal compressibility of water, bar^-1
refcoord_scaling = com
; Periodic boundary conditions
pbc           = xyz         ; 3-D PBC
; Dispersion correction
DispCorr      = EnerPres    ; account for cut-off vdW scheme
; Velocity generation
gen_vel       = no          ; Velocity generation is off

and then MD:

title         = pol1-box first 2 ns MD
; Run parameters
integrator    = md          ;
nsteps        = 2000000     ;
dt            = 0.001              ;  fs
; Bond parameters
continuation  = yes         ; Restarting after NPT
; Neighborsearching
ns_type              = grid        ; search neighboring grid cells
nstlist              = 5           ; fs
rlist         = 1.0         ; short-range neighborlist cutoff (in nm)
rcoulomb      = 1.0         ; short-range electrostatic cutoff (in nm)
rvdw          = 1.0         ; short-range van der Waals cutoff (in nm)
; Electrostatics
coulombtype   = PME         ; Particle Mesh Ewald for long-range electrostatics
pme_order     = 4           ; cubic interpolation
fourierspacing       = 0.16        ; grid spacing for FFT
; Temperature coupling is on
tcoupl        = V-rescale   ; modified Berendsen thermostat
tc-grps       = system      ; two coupling groups - more accurate
tau_t         = 0.1         ; time constant, in ps
ref_t         = 300         ; reference temperature, one for each group, in K
; Pressure coupling is on
pcoupl        = Parrinello-Rahman  ; Pressure coupling on in NPT
pcoupltype    = isotropic   ; uniform scaling of box vectors
tau_p         = 2.0         ; time constant, in ps
ref_p         = 1.0         ; reference pressure, in bar
compressibility = 4.5e-5    ; isothermal compressibility of water, bar^-1
; Periodic boundary conditions
pbc           = xyz         ; 3-D PBC
; Dispersion correction
DispCorr      = EnerPres    ; account for cut-off vdW scheme
; Velocity generation
gen_vel              = no          ; Velocity generation is off

may still contain software viruses which could damage your computer system, you are advised to perform your own checks. Email communications with the University of Nottingham may be monitored as permitted by UK legislation.