[gmx-users] make_ndx bug?

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Sep 19 23:20:29 CEST 2014

On 9/19/14 5:15 PM, gromacs query wrote:
> Hi Justin
>
> Hope it makes sense now :) Here is the link (small piece of some pdb
> without hydrogens)
>
> http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=09348261523279878452
> <http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=09348261523279878452>
>
> I used this command: (note residue 2 is missing so using 'r 2' will not
> work )
>
> make_ndx -f test_noH.pdb -o ndx_noH.ndx
>

> selected as:
>

> r 3
>

> It gives correct number of atoms info but gives atom numbers as line
> numbers (9 to 16) and 'real' atom numbers are: 34,36,38,41 ... so on
>

> It seems it reads residue column correctly from pdb, e.g. if you use  r 2
> then it complains that residue is missing but I think atom numbers are not
> read from 'atom number column' itself but as line numbers

make_ndx is assuming the coordinate file is numbered starting at 1, which is
true for most coordinate files.  If you renumber the file, then the make_ndx
output matches the atom numbers in the coordinate file.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 601
University of Maryland, Baltimore