[gmx-users] the growth of the molecule

Rasoul Nasiri nasiri1355 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 21:09:57 CEST 2014

On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 7:33 PM, Justin Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu> wrote:

> On 9/22/14 10:45 AM, Александр Селютин wrote:
>
>> Thanks to everyone
>> I have idea that I can stop simulation, change topology(move end of
>> molecule, add new atoms) and start again. It should be repeated every 2
>> ps.
>> But it can be very slowly. Does anybody know how to do it more correctly?
>>

> I don't know that there is a good solution.  What you've outlined also
> doesn't seem very reliable, because you're causing serious perturbations to
> the system every 2 ps, so the outcome of the previous simulation is
> basically lost because you have changed the coordinates and perturbed the
> solvent around the polymer. So you basically have a certain number of
> unequilibrated polymer systems of varying size.  It doesn't help you to
> determine much of anything.
>
> MD is great for simulating nonbonded aggregation/assembly, but it is not
> trivial to do something involving covalent bonds in classical MD.

If you want to study dynamic of growth of materials via formation of
chemical bonds
(covalent, ionic and even metallic), perhaps empirical reactive FFs might
be
acceptable choices in terms of cost and accuracy BUT those are not
implemented
in GROMACS as far as I know. You need try them using LAMMPS, ADF, ReaxFF
codes,.....

Rasoul