[gmx-users] does gromacs-4.6 support intel core Quad Q9550 cpu?

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Thu Sep 25 18:10:01 CEST 2014

On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 4:19 PM, Vedat Durmaz <durmaz at zib.de> wrote:

> i guess that's it, mark. thanks. following mirco's hint and checking the
> log file indeed reveals that "rdtscp" was used upon compiling the binaries.
>
> so i will compile it myself on the affected machine. you say i don't
> need to set any special cmake variable?

"Nothing is required if building on the target machine - GROMACS cmake
configuration does all the required detection"

> shouldn't i at least set the
> "GMX_USE_RDTSCP" variable the website you've linked below mentions?

Not if GROMACS cmake is doing the required detection - which it does. (We
did improve the implementation of the detection after 4.6.5, but that is an
issue only if you tried to do a source-based install of 4.6.5 or earlier
with a build host that has rdtscp and a target machine that does not - so
do the build on the target machine and stop worrying about it ;-) ).

and
> if so, how would i do that? like this?:
>
> cmake ... -DGMX_USE_RDTSCP=OFF

Yes, but you don't need if it you are building on the target machine,
because GROMACS cmake configuration does all the required detection, and
this gets turned off automatically if appropriate.

> and what about using SSE4.1? you've written: "Yes, and use the SSE4.1
> speed advantages ..." do i need to set some proper cmake variable in
> order to use this feature?

No, if you are building on the target machine, because GROMACS cmake
configuration does all the required detection, and turns on SSE4.1 support
if that would suit the build host.

:-)

Mark